One of the reasons I became a history teacher was because I was good at history in school. Yes, I know it sounds a little geekish, but it came easy to me. I was always good at memorizing and found the people and events I was learning about fascinating. It hasn't been until much more recently that I have begun to really understand the impact of all the events on the future.
Unfortnuately (or not) this seems to be lost on the upcoming generations. Much of the wonder is gone from these children who live in the age of instant gratification and a never ending stream of information. Why should they care about what happened 15, 30, 50, 150 years ago? What difference does it make in there life? How do you explain the Age of Discovery, for example, to young people who haven't left their home town, let alone their state?

I agree. I love history. How do explain to anyone, kids or adults, why learning about an early 20th century grist mill is useful to their everyday lives? I think it's totally fascinating!!! Did you know your mill can be right- or left-handed?
ReplyDelete